Happy National Poetry Month!
Aside from many other designations, April is also National Poetry Month.
Well, while the above might be advisable, April really is National Poetry Month. We want to take advantage of this space and time to realize one of our biggest muses, what inspires every day to write and love. Yes, our pets. How many of you have written a poem about your pet dog, or cat or hamster? As a child i’m sure most if not all of us wrote about our pets, either for a school assignment or just because we love them and wanted to. We will be posting across our social media channels poems dedicated to the wonder and joy that are animals. Certain poets will most certainly be recognizable, while others may not be so mainstream. Those non mainstream poets may or may not include some employees of Advantek.
Never considered writing about your furry family members before? Here are 15 prompts for writing about pets from Journal Buddies.
WRITING PROMPTS ABOUT PETS
- Have children write a poem about their dream pet. There are no rules, here. Just fun. They can even draw a picture if they would like.
- Write a story from the point of view of one of your children’s pets.
- Describe your favorite pet. What do you love about it? If you do not have a pet, describe the one you would like to have the most.
- Invent a brand new pet. What would it look like? How would you have to care for it?
- Write a conversation you would have with your pet (or dream pet) if you could talk with animals. (You could even read passages from Doctor Doolittle to go along with this prompt.)
- What if you had a pet like your favorite cartoon character? Who would it be? What kind of adventures would you have?
- If you would like to have a pet, make a list of the things you would have to do to care for your pet. If you already own one, write a paragraph about how you care for your pet.
- You can choose to be the pet of anyone in the world. Who would it be? What kind of animal would you be?
- Which pets are the best? Why?
- Let your students finish this story: “If I were a pet, I would be a _____, and I would….”
- What would the world look like if cats acted like dogs and dogs acted like cats?
- What if we kept wild animals for pets? Which one would you chose?
- What would happen if you lost your pet? How would you feel? What would you do?
- If someone were to care for your pet (or dream pet) while you were away, what things would they need
- What would your day be like if you were a cat? Or a dog? Or a fish? What sorts of things would you do? What would be your favorite time of day?
Give some of these a try or come up with your own. And don’t forget to share. We love all things pets and look forward to reading yours! We may even share it!
What do you think? Do you have a poem about your pets?